Friday, August 5, 2011

"I looked in Mommy's purse..."

Most places I go, someone comments to me, "I love your purse!"  This always brings me an inward laugh as I thank them for the compliment before moving on.
The evolution of my handbags.

Fashion escapes me.  John has never cared and likely prefers that I not be spending readily on clothing and accessories.  Yet there is one area of this lack of style that did need improvement in his eyes.  Early in our marriage, John announced that I should never again select my own handbag again.  In future either my mother or himself should do that for me. 

Fine with me.  It never mattered anyway as long as it suited my purposes.

When Riley came along and I was spending a great amount of time in hospitals and doctors' offices (yes, even more than now), I carried a tiny wallet sized purse on a long strap.  This was a stylish, I assume, Brighton bag gifted to me by my mom.  It suited me as I never carried much and didn't want anything in my way as I carted Riley around.  It did not even have room for my car keys which dangles from my pocket or the phone shoved in the back of my jeans.

Years later, my mother decided to replace this bag with a dark red leather backpack style handbag.  This bag, goes everywhere.  I sling it over my back or the wheelchair and stuff every necessity and list possible deep into the main pocket.  Occasionally, I will treat the leather.  Somehow, this has become the ultimate mommy purse which swallows up everything.  I do not even remember the designer name though I am certain it is a popular one and well made.


For two months I blamed my husband for the loss of our camera lense cover.  He looked everywhere.   Even admitted (as a good husband should) he had it last.  One day when cleaning out my purse, it was found in the bottom of my purse.... story continues.... Ronan lost his pencil sharpener for over a week (driving us all crazy looking for it).  Jokingly John said to Ronan "Check mommy's purse".  About an hour later Ronan whispers in John's ear "I looked, it wasn't in mommy's purse"
The new school year for Lee County begins this coming Monday.  The organizing and shopping has been complicated.  I do not take Riley out more than necessary, errands are especially avoided for obvious reasons.

Somehow I have managed to gather the majority of the required supplies for Ronan; Riley's list definitely needs work.  Ronan and I surveyed his pile comparing it to his list received from the school.  Some things needed attention and organizing, among these was  "sharpened pencils."  I instructed Ronan to locate his manual red pencil sharpener and sharpen his school pencils.

"Where is the sharpener?" Ronan asked.
This seemed obvious to me, "Check your desk and the pencil box where you keep it."
"It's not there.  I looked everywhere."  I refuse to replace something we already possess.   This was an unsatisfactory answer and over the next several days we searched for the missing bright red sharpener.


All this summer we have also missed a camera lens cover.  For two months I blamed my husband for the loss of our cover.  He looked everywhere.   Even admitted (as a good husband should) he had it last.  One day when cleaning out my purse, it was found in the bottom of my purse.... meanwhile the search for the pencil sharpener continued (driving us all crazy looking for it).  Jokingly John said to Ronan "Check mommy's purse".  About an hour later Ronan whispers in John's ear "I looked, it wasn't in mommy's purse."

So, I have become the massive purse toting mommy.  Who else have I yet to discover through my sons' eyes?

We are all special... by Stacie Wiesenbaugh









Photobucket 

17 comments:

CinfulCinnamon said...

Well, I love the purse too. And I only put things in my purse that I never want to see again. I've had numerous requests from the government when planes have gone missing, $5000 dollar toilet seat lids have disappeared. Eventually, Jimmy Hoffa will be found in the bottom of my bag !

Have a great weekend Stacie.

Unknown said...

I am handbag obsessed. I love it when I find money in one that I haven't used in ages.

sweetjeanette said...

Stopping by from Lady Blogger's Tea Party - I was betting you were going to say it was in your purse! LOL
I'm such a "bag lady" what I sacrifice on shoes I make up for in purses! ROFL

My Inner Chick said...

--Hi,
Poppin' in from LBS.
I looooooove the purse. Nice Chocolate Brown.
I have so many, I can't even find them! :) I like you site....Love your son.

Rebecca Dot Com said...

:)Im your newest follower from LBS Tea Party! I'd appeciate a follow back :) - Enjoy your weekend, friend! :)

I am such a purse lover! My husband is always yelling at me because I have tooo many purses!!! :)

Anonymous said...

my teenage daughter said that bag is pretty.

Thanks for my blog comment

Hope you come back

Lance

♥α§ђ£ε¥™♥ said...

Completely unrelated, as I have a case study to write, but I actually started 6 years ago, and was writing in retrospect because I finish my studies and degree this Thursday!! Thanks for reading, though :) I'll come back when I finish my studying and whatnot

~Ashley~
* Perpetually Me *

Rachel said...

Thanks for hopping over to my blog and leaving a comment. This post is hilarious:) I love handbags, but it amazing what you find at the bottom of them sometimes:)

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Hi there! Thanks for coming over to my blog at www.the-mommyhood-chronicles.com. I am your new follower. I don't think you are actually following me though although you commented you were. Can you please double check? Much appreciated. Have a good weekend. Love the post

Laura said...

hahaha... sounds like my purse.. It's a bottomless pit too. I don't understand how I seem to lose things in it. :) I'm coming from FTLB!

xoxo

EMily said...

See that's what I'm afraid would happen if I got a tote. I carry a purse and a bag for the boy, because his stuff is in his bag, and my stuff is in my purse. Some of those large totes seem to be bottomless!

Patty said...

One can never have enough...handbags!

I may go barefoot but I will always carry a purse of significance, lol

Enjoy your Sunday!

Tricia said...

Beautiful stuff!

I always go through my purse about 7 times looking for something, and then my husband will look through just once and find it. It's my Mary Poppins bag.

Here from Comment Love!

Jenny said...

I typically don't carry too much, but my purse is pretty big and it does become a catch-all. There have been times where I've said, "Where are my keys?" "Have you looked in your purse?" "Yes!!" then 15 minutes later, I find them...in my purse... LOL

New follower from blog hops, please follow back:

Full Cart Full Wallet

Amy said...

Hi! Thanks for the follow! I'm now following you as well.

Unknown said...

Stopping by from the Sunday Social Blog Hop and am a new follower of your blog thru GFC. I did not see a Twitter or Facebook button so if I missed it just let me know and I will come back and follow. I would appreciate a follow back thru GFC when you have time. Thanks so very much and have a great night!

Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

Clairity said...

I like your little bag. My bag is also a bottomless pit and no amount of clearing it up will make it any less so LOL.

Thanks for stopping by Hip2bmom :)