Monday, August 29, 2011

NICU Haunting

John has been rising and leaving home around 5 am each Sunday for the past month.  A local college has scheduled John's IT services every Sunday morning through the end of the year. The reason is to prevent disruption to staff and students.  It's a challenging schedule but he is happy to take work when it is available.

He came home mid-afternoon and was greeted by the usual excitement by the boys who knew their fun was just beginning as they prepared for an afternoon swim and Riley's birthday celebration.  

My boys spend the afternoon together.

Clearly, something was bothering him beyond the early rise and hard work he had just put in.  

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I just spent the day in the NICU." John answered.  "Today I was scheduled in the nursing area of the college and started with the fully functioning teaching NICU."  

Of all places to land on the anniversary of Riley's traumatic birth which began our journey with two months of the NICU.  What an uncanny, cruel circumstance to land him in one of the most distressful places of Riley's young life on the actual birthdate.

How strange life can be.  If you recall, I actually chose to post a picture of Riley in the NICU yesterday having no idea where John actually was at that moment.

Ready for his birthday dinner wearing giraffe print.
If you gotta wear a bib - it should be really cool.
My favorite bibs are birthday gifts sewn by Ms. Jeanine and Ms. Wendi.

We are all special... by Stacie Wiesenbaugh


Momfever said...

As far as bibs go, that one really is cool!

LisaWeidknecht said...

Hi! I wanted to stop by and thank you for joining the Planet Weidknecht Weekend Hop. I hope you'll join in again.

Laura@Catharsis said...

Wow. What a touching story. I want to learn more about Riley and your family. Finding and connecting with other moms of special needs children is an important thing. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll definitely be back to yours. Happy birthday to Riley!