Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Seizing Logic

October 19, 2008

Seizure's did not come every day or even every week during Riley's sixth year.  When a seizure did arrive, it was an Event.  Occasionally it even meant calling in paramedics and a trip to the ER to put an end to Riley's convulsions when our own medications and interventions were not enough to help him.
One day, driving my boys from one appointment to another, Ronan observed a Walgreens drugstore.  He explained to me as we drove by the landmark in his matter-of-fact three year old manner: 

“If I go to Walgreen’s, I don’t have seizure’s!” 

He had put it all together!  



He recognized Walgreens yet the McDonald's next door to it went unnoticed.  Not many three-year olds have seizure in their vocabulary or need to consider how to manage the disorder.  I laughed.  I cried.  How sad that he had to understand seizures.  How amazing that a three year old was planning how not to have seizures.  


 We are all special... by Stacie Wiesenbaugh

1 comment:

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

What a truly special post. Thanks so much for sharing! What a special boy you have.